Mosquitoes are the world’s most well-known pest. They are known for the itchy bites that they give you, and they are found on every continent except Antarctica. Occasionally they can also spread fatal diseases. Mosquitoes are pests that like water which means they could infest places like Heritage Park or Eagle Island State Park. Don’t risk being bit by a mosquito! Call Get Lost Pest Control, your local Eagle mosquito control company!
The Canyon County Mosquito Abatement District says that there are three local species of culex mosquitoes: culex tarsalis, culex pipiens, and culex erythrothorax. All three of these species are known vectors of West Nile Virus, and several encephalitis diseases. Idaho records several cases of West Nile Virus from mosquitoes each year.
- a long proboscis (biting organ) protruding from the head and this proboscis is several times longer than the head itself
- long skinny body, brownish in color with scales on the veins of the wings
- the life stages of a Culex mosquito are tied to water
- this means they could live by your ponds at home, or by other bodies of water close by
- adult female mosquitoes lay eggs on the surface of any available fresh or stagnant water, usually in a group or ‘raft’ of 100-300 eggs
- the eggs hatch into larvae, also called ‘wrigglers’, and within 7-10 days, they hatch into full mosquito adults
Check your property for the following to help reduce breeding habitats for the mosquitoes:
- sprinklers & irrigation systems
- trash cans or containers
- debris or other material that can capture or hold water
- plant pots or flowers
- bird baths
Dangers (to humans):
- Mosquitoes can carry:
- Dengue fever
- Yellow fever
- West Nile
Besides taking the preventative measures, removing standing water is the best way to prevent mosquito breeding. If you can’t do that, consider using a mosquito larvicide such as Summit Mosquito Dunks. Make sure to always read the label for instructions before use. Though that larvicide might help you get rid of some mosquitoes, it might not help the problem go away entirely. At Get Lost Pest Control, we take mosquito control seriously and will help eradicate your infestation. Contact Get Lost Pest Control, your local Eagle mosquito control company, for a free quote! We provide the best quality service, all with no contracts.