Mosquitoes are the world’s most well-known pest. These little suckers are found on every continent except Antarctica, heavily infesting any area with available water. Mosquitoes leave behind itchy bites, and in serious cases, potentially deadly diseases. The residents of Garden City and the Treasure Valley are no strangers to mosquitoes. If you and your family are unable to enjoy your backyard in the summer, you may be in need of a Garden City mosquito exterminator! Read along to learn more about the mosquitoes in the Treasure Valley, and Get Lost Pest Control’s mosquito extermination treatments.
According to the Canyon County Mosquito Abatement District, there are three local species of culex mosquitoes: culex tarsalis, culex pipiens, and culex erythrothorax. All three of these species are known vectors of West Nile Virus, and several encephalitis diseases. Idaho records several cases of West Nile Virus from mosquitoes each year.
Every life stage of a Culex mosquito is tied to water. This means they could easily be living around your ponds at home, or at Garden City parks that have ponds. Adult female mosquitoes lay eggs on the surface of any available fresh or stagnant water, usually in a group or ‘raft’ of 100-300 eggs. These eggs hatch into larvae, also called ‘wrigglers’. A pupal stage quickly follows. Within 7-10 days, the freshly laid eggs emerge as adult mosquitoes, continuing the cycle.
Culex mosquitoes are not generally known to travel large distances. However, they have been shown to fly up to 2 miles in search of a blood meal.
How Can I Reduce Mosquitoes Around My Property?
As previously stated, mosquitoes need fresh or stagnant water to survive and reproduce. Walk around your property and look for the following to help reduce breeding areas:
- Sprinklers & irrigation systems
- Bird baths
- Trash containers
- Debris or other material that can capture or hold water (tires, toys, buckets, etc)
Removing standing water is the best way to prevent mosquito breeding. If you cannot, consider using a mosquito larvicide such as Summit Mosquito Dunks. Be sure to always read the label before use.
Mosquito Extermination Treatments
At Get Lost Pest Control, we take mosquito extermination seriously. Our technicians employ a multi-step process to reduce the mosquito population on your property.
- The technician will inspect your property before beginning a treatment program. We will look for possible breeding sites, as well as spots where mosquitoes sit and hide during the day.
- Using a mist blower, an insecticide is applied to the lawn, bushes, trees, and other vegetation on your property. Flowering or edible plants are not treated. This product eliminates adult mosquitoes on contact, and leaves a residual effect that continues to work for up to 3 weeks. In addition, female mosquitoes who contact a treated area will be unable to lay viable eggs. This breaks up the breeding cycle, and amplifies the results with subsequent treatments.
- Communication and Follow Up. The technician will document potential mosquito breeding areas and recommend possible solutions. Treatments are scheduled every 3 weeks throughout the mosquito season, generally May-September. This helps ensure the best possible coverage and efficacy.
Contact Get Lost Pest Control today, for a free quote from a Garden City mosquito exterminator! We provide the best quality service, all with no contracts.