Living in Idaho, if you ever notice a foul smell when you go outside around your property, it might be the smell of skunk spray. Skunks will often skulk around any area that has a food or water source, and normally won’t travel more than 2 miles in a day. This means that they could easily be hanging out near your property, or around places like parks such as Nampa Dog Park or Lake Lowell Park. Due to skunks posing a potential threat to your property and your health, it’s best to let professionals help you remove them. The professionals at Get Lost Pest Control are your local Nampa skunk control company that have the wildlife resources available to contain your pest situation. Don’t be afraid to give us a call!
- Coloring is black and white, normally with one white stripe running from the head to the tail, but can occasionally have a “spotted” pattern
- Length of skunks averages from 50 to 80 cm
- Skunks are small animals with short legs, and have a small, pointed snout with black eyes
- They also have very distinguishable long, fluffy tails
- Skunks are omnivores and like to eat things such as insects, larvae, and berries
Skunks are dangerous to humans because they can be carriers of diseases like rabies, or intestinal roundworm. Skunks can also be a danger due to a spray they release when they are feeling threatened, which can cause irritation and even temporary blindness.
- Clean up your yard on a regular basis
- Place gardens in raised garden beds or place chicken wire around your garden
- Treat the lawn and trim your grass regularly
- Keep garbage stored in cans with the lids tightly closed
- Keep any pet food that you have indoors
- Install motion detector lights
Besides sealing and cleaning up your property, the only repellent you might be able to use to treat for skunks is dog or fox urine. Skunks are naturally repelled by smelling the urine of their predators. You are occasionally able to find and purchase fox urine to ward away skunks, however using urine to treat for skunks is a hit or miss. Using a trusted Nampa pest control company like Get Lost Pest Control, is likely the best option to remove skunks from your property. Get Lost Pest Control is contract free and family owned. Give us a call now!