You may have heard the story about earwigs crawling into peoples’ ears while they sleep, but that’s just a myth! Earwigs look scary, but the truth is that they don’t cause harm to humans. However, they are aphid predators and can easily destroy your plants if their population gets too large. That is why you should call Get Lost Pest Control, your local New Plymouth earwig control company! We will send you our qualified pest control professionals to help you manage your earwig infestation.
- Adult earwigs in the US can range in size from .3 inches to 2 inches long
- They have elongated flattened bodies that range in color from brown to red to black
- They have pincers at the end of their body, but they are only strong enough to harm other bugs, not humans
- They are omnivores and eat things such as fruit, leaves, and insects
Earwigs do not pose any danger to humans, but they do have the potential to harm your plants or fruits. If their population grows too large, they have been known to destroy entire gardens.
- Seal any openings/cracks around your home or property
- Rake weeds and leaves away from the foundation of your property
- Keep damp or moist areas in the home dry by using fans or dehumidifiers
- Maintain a barrier between your foundation and garden soil or mulch, as you want to keep as much moisture away from the home as possible
To treat for earwigs, you could try the old method of mixing dish soap and water, and spraying down sections where you have seen the active earwigs. However, this method isn’t always effective, and might not keep the earwigs at bay long-term. Call Get Lost Pest Control, your local New Plymouth earwig control company, and we will get to work eliminating your pest problems!