If you’ve ever gone outside at night to take out the trash, you might have encountered a raccoon rustling around. Raccoons like to hunt at night, and hide away during the day so they’re not seen by predators. Raccoons are omnivores and will search in any places they can smell food. They might look in trash cans on your property, or in dumpsters behind restaurants like Garbonzo’s Pizza or A&W Restaurant. Get Lost Pest Control is your local New Plymouth raccoon control company that can help with the raccoon issues that you might be having.
- The coloring of a raccoon’s body is mostly gray, with shades of white and black
- Raccoons are known for having big black circles around their eyes that sometimes look like a mask
- Average height of raccoons is about 9 to 11 inches
- Raccoons are 2 to 3 feet in length and can weigh anywhere from 10 to 30 pounds
Raccoons have Salmonella bacteria that are found in their feces, and humans can contract Salmonella infections as the result of contacting droppings and ingesting the microorganisms by inadvertently transferring it from the hands to the mouth. Coming into contact with a raccoon’s feces can be especially dangerous to children and elderly adults.
- Clean up your yard on a regular basis
- Clean your trash cans routinely and make sure they have a closed lid
- Check for holes around your structures if they are getting inside
- Install tall fencing to keep them from entering the property
To stop raccoons from rummaging around your property, you can do things like clean up your yard or clean your trash cans. You can also make a homemade spray that you can apply around the perimeter of your property which includes things like water, cayenne pepper, and dish soap. However, in order to properly take care of the raccoon disturbances around your home, we recommend calling professionals. New Plymouth’s professional technicians at Get Lost Pest Control have the training and knowledge necessary to efficiently assist with your pest problems.