In Idaho, we’ve definitely been known to be a home for ticks. Ticks like to habituate in wooded, grassy areas that are high in elevation. Which means that they could be anywhere that hosts those types of environments, like Kiwanis. The type of ticks in Idaho are called Wood Ticks, and they can latch onto any unsuspecting warm body. Wood ticks will often times be seen in forest areas, but can also end up in your own backyard. Call us, Get Lost Pest Control, to be your local New Plymouth tick control company!
- Wood ticks have flat bodies that are a wide, oval shape
- They are normally reddish-brown in color, but can also have flecks of gray or silver
- They grow to 3/16 of an inch long
- Wood ticks have a black lower back, while Deer ticks have a red lower back
Wood ticks can carry bacteria that can be responsible for giving disease to humans. These diseases can include Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Tularemia.
- Wear light-colored protective clothing
- Tuck pant legs into socks
- As much as you can, avoid tick infested areas
- If you do end up in an area with ticks, check yourself, your children, and your pets daily
- Gently remove any ticks that you find as soon as possible
To treat for Wood Ticks on your body, first use fine tip tweezers to carefully remove it. After that, inspect the bite site to see if you left any of the tick’s head or mouth parts in the bite. If so, remove those parts. Clean the bite site with water and apply an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, or iodine. Once you’ve removed the tick, submerge it in rubbing alcohol to make sure it died. Next, tell you Doctor about your tick bite, including where and when it happened.
To treat for Wood Ticks in your yard, you need remove any piles of leaves you have laying around. You will also want to clear any tall grass or brush you have around your house. Lastly, make sure to mow the lawn on a frequent basis. These methods can all help with reducing ticks around your house, but the professionals at Get Lost Pest Control have the tools and product you need to significantly reduce your risk of ticks. We are your local New Plymouth tick control company, and we are here to help! So give us a call!