Often, the most damaging pests are those that go largely unseen, burrowing beneath the ground and wreaking havoc. Gophers in Idaho are a BIG problem. Without swift action these rodents can destroy yards, pastures and crops. Gophers can reproduce rapidly. Without professional intervention they can be difficult to eradicate.
Gophers usually remain underground in their burrows, while occasionally coming above ground to feed near their holes. They create these burrows by tunneling and pushing dirt to the surface. Fresh mounds of soil are a good indicator of recent gopher activity. These mounds are typically horseshoe or crescent shaped.
Why are gophers in Idaho so damaging?
- While burrowing and creating tunnels under your property, they push up mounds of dirt. These are unsightly, and the holes can pose a great threat to livestock, such as cows or horses. They can also cause hazards with farm machinery.
- Gophers have voracious appetites. They feed on a variety of vegetation including trees, shrubs, crops, or your favorite flowers. They can cause serious damage to agricultural areas. While burrowing, they eat the roots of plants they come across.
- Like any other rodent, gophers love to chew through things. They can chew through water lines or other underground utilities.
- After gopher extermination, the previous damage must be repaired. Abandoned tunnels can easily siphon irrigation water away from your crops or landscaping.
- Gophers don’t hibernate and are active at all times of the year. For those who’ve had an infestation, this can be a constant problem.
If you’ve noticed the tell-tale dirt mounds or other signs on your property, it’s time to say goodbye to those gophers! At Get Lost Pest Control, we use an eradication system called pressurized exhaust rodent control (PERC). This is an easy and safe solution to eliminate gophers. We offer residential, commercial, and agricultural control for gophers in Idaho. Contact us at Get Lost Pest Control today!